Friday, October 06, 2006

Awestruck

Everything I've heard about the nightmare in the Amish schoolhouse has simply knocked me out--on the one hand, I simply cannot comprehend what would ever have possessed Mr. Roberts to act as he did, and the details of his communications only make it more unfathomable; on the other hand, the response of the Amish themselves, both during and after the crisis, has been exemplary.

But this, this sends me to my knees:

Young Marian Fisher, only 13 years old, "asked the killer to shoot her first in an apparent bid to save the younger girls."

I have nothing to say. I could attempt to draw some lame comparison about how our leaders ought to blah blah blah, and we could all learn a lesson from blah blah blah, but it all pales next to this example of love in action. So I think I'll just stand here in silence and marvel at it, and hope that the ravages of daily life don't ever knock it from my head.

No comments: