Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Busy-Ness

The Final Cut Pro education continues. The real tutorial is on the second disk; the first disk is really just a broad, broad overview. So by following the step-by-step .pdf file and using their media, I have successfully put together my first little 30-second promo piece. Little acorns, doncha know. A couple times the program didn't respond quite how the tutorial said it would; once I was able to work my way around the problem, once I wasn't. So it goes. Right now I'm focusing on LiveType, the titling program, in order to finish off the current Alien project--I'm told LiveType files can be used in iMovie, which is a relief since iMovie's titling is the most limited aspect of that program. But I still feel, when using the program, as if I'm embroidering lace with a harpoon.

And I must mention a truly bad movie I watched last night: He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not. It starred the utterly adorable Audrey Tautou and I fully expected to enjoy it; and for about the first forty minutes, I did. Then there is a rather clever little cinematic trick, and the whole thing kinda spins right around and becomes a different movie. Which is exactly where things go wrong--because the kind of movie it becomes is one of those idiotic Hollywood thrillers that doesn't make even the least bit of sense, relying on coincidence and character stupidity to achieve its belabored effects. And just because it's French doesn't make it good. (I mean come on: don't you think a cardiologist would have some idea where the human heart is while performing CPR? And then the orderly at the end, blithely missing the significance of--well, if you see the movie you'll know what I mean.) And while I liked the idea of casting Tautou against type, it wasn't nearly enough. A bad, bad movie--and I don't say that just because I was in a bad mood last night, though this "entertainment" sure didn't help.

Yep. Enough talk. Back to work.

No comments: