Saturday, August 19, 2006

Celebrating the Awful Occasion

A Quote

We've been soliciting quotes for the film, and just got a whim-whammer from Bruce Joel Rubin, who wrote Ghost, My Life and the wonderful Jacob's Ladder. (I just watched My Life recently and liked it much more than I thought I would--it's always in danger of plunging into sentimentality but somehow manages to pull through. A tricky little dance, and Rubin handled it pretty well.)

Anyway, here's what he had to say about Zen Noir:
Zen Noir represents a new idea in film, a story that is itself the very essence of its teaching. This is a smart and entrancing film that leads from the realm of worldly mystery into something larger and even more mysterious. It is a fascinating journey into the mystery of mystery itself.

Yep. That instantly becomes our lead quote. A thousand thanks to Mr. Rubin.

(And by the way, the trailer is now up at Apple's trailers site. We're everywhere!


The Birthday


It's been a good birthday so far. The MySpace thing has been loads of fun, with messages and comments from all sorts of people wishing me happy returns, some of whom I haven't actually seen in years. It's dead easy for them to do a nice thing, and it makes me feel good; winners all around. This morning I took a nice bike ride, doing laps around West L.A.'s V.A. Center, then did some errands that led me to Santa Monica. Since I was already there I decided to jump in and catch a movie, and so finally watched Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth.

Now I don't particularly feel like waxing political today, so I'll save the whole environmental question for later (though I do recommend going to the movie's website and visiting this page, which allows you to measure how much carbon you yourself are contributing to the atmosphere). But I will say this: if Mr. Gore had been really smart, the slide lecture at the center of this movie would have been the bulk of his presidential campaign, and I swear that man would be President now.

But anyway. After the movie was out, it was still early afternoon and I realized that I was only a couple short blocks from the Pacific Ocean. Just like that the sea started calling me, and I answered. The weather was perfect, as if the L.A. Chamber of Commerce had ordered it up special; consequently, there were thousands of people on the beach, and wandering the Santa Monica Pier. The ocean was one kind of blue, the sky another; and any birthday with an ocean in it is a good one, far as I'm concerned.

No comments: