Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Absurdity Upon Absurdity

As follow-up to my earlier post, I note this article from CNN about how an Iranian newspaper plans to run a contest seeking cartoons about the Holocaust as a test of just how tolerant the West really is. (Actually, quite aside from my gut reaction that I'd rather not see such a thing, it's actually a fair question.)

But really, doesn't all this beg the question of whether anyone outside Denmark would have ever seen these cartoons in the first place if there hadn't been such a big stink raised? By protesting so loudly, haven't Muslims in fact ensured that these "blasphemous" cartoons have now been seen broadly, all across the world? (I have seen them; if not for all of this, I would have never sought them out.) How does that serve the honor of the Prophet?

No comments: